Do you get enough sleep? You are not alone if your answer is no. Many people feel they are getting plenty of sleep but don’t wake up feeling refreshed. In fact, they may find themselves feeling sleepy all day. The quantity of sleep a person gets does not have much meaning if they are not receiving quality sleep.
Objectives to secure a better night’s sleep:
- Maintain a consistent sleep schedule. Your body has an internal clock and likes consistency.
- Keep the room dark. Light encourages the body to produce serotonin which supports wakefulness.
- Be cautious with sleeping aids; they may help you sleep, but often times rob you of quality sleep, along with other side effects.
- Have a comfortable surface to sleep on. You spend about 1/3 of your life in bed; you deserve to be comfortable.
- Keep you room cool. Research has shown that people sleep better when the room temperature is cool.
- If you snore, speak to your physician about a sleep study. There may be a correlation between your snoring, sleeplessness and not feeling refreshed.
Author: Dana Patton